Lake Yosemite: Only seven miles from the center of Merced, Lake Yosemite has long been a popular spot for picnics, family outings, group activities, fishing and boating. It isn’t the largest lake in Merced County, but it is close to home and has extensive recreational facilities. Most facilities are accessed from Lake Road, but a secondary fishing access point is located at the end of Old Lake Road. Lake Yosemite’s water comes from the Merced River. It is diverted into the Main Canal by the Crocker-Huffman Dam, halfway between Snelling and Merced Falls.
- Location: 5714 Lake Road, Merced, CA 95340
- Distance from Merced: 7 miles
- Distance from Los Banos: 43 miles
- Operating authority: Merced County Parks and Recreation
- Surface area of lake: 500 acres
Facilities and activities:
- Boat ramp and marina
- Concessions booth (summer weekends only)
- Flush restrooms
- Drinking fountains
- Picnic areas with tables, shelters, and BBQ grills
- Group picnic/banquet facilities (indoor and outdoor)
- Rental information (click here)
- Camping area for youth groups
- Swimming beach
- Dogs allowed? No
- Horses allowed? No
- Hunting allowed? No
- Fish species: Bass, bluegill, and catfish. Trout are stocked in the early spring, but don’t last through the summer because of water temperatures.
- Rentals: Non-motorized boats are available on summer weekends from the concession stand.
- Website: Yosemite Lake (click here)
- Nearby parks: The closest camping is available at McConnell State Recreation Area, and Lake McClure and Lake McSwain.
- Recreation organizations:
- The Lake Yosemite Sailing Association organizes sailboat events and races, maintainsa docking area, and teaches sailboating skills. Membership is open to all who have an interest in sailing. Boat ownership is not required and new members can learn to sail by crewing on boats owned by other members. The LYSA also offers a Sail Camp for youth aged 8 and up during the summer months. http://www.lakeyosemitesailing.org/
[googleMap name="Lake Yosemite near Merced" directions_to="false"]5714 Lake rd. Merced, Ca. 95340[/googleMap]
Lake Yosemite, Merced, Ca.