Although part of Stanislaus County, Turlock is only 25 miles north of Merced – closer than some other towns that are within the county. Just like Merced, the core of Turlock was laid out by the Southern Pacific Railroad as it built southwards through the Central Valley in the early 1870’s. The town had […]Read the full article →
Modesto Reservoir Regional Park
Modesto Reservoir Regional Park: Popular with residents of Modesto and Turlock, this park is surprisingly close to Merced and offers a lot of recreational opportunities and facilities.
- Location: Reservoir Road (accessed from Highway 132) between Waterford and La Grange.
- Distance from Merced: 37 miles
- Distance from Los Banos: 51 miles
- Operating authority: Stanislaus County Parks and Recreation
- Surface area of lake: 2,800 acres
Facilities and activities:
- Boat ramp, marina
- Concessions booth
- Flush restrooms
- Drinking fountains
- Campgrounds with BBQ grills/fire rings, RV hookups
- Picnic areas with tables, shelters, and BBQ grills
- Group picnic areas and shelters
- Swimming area
- Wildlife viewing area
- Archery range
- Radio-control airplane flying
- Dogs allowed? No
- Horses allowed? No
- Hunting allowed? Yes
- Fish species: Bass, trout
- Boat rentals: No
- Website: http://www.co.stanislaus.ca.us/er/parks/pdf/modesto-reservoir.pdf
- Recreation organizations: The Mid-Valley Water Ski Club holds events throughout the year for people of all ages and abilities. http://www.midvalleywaterskiclub.com/ for more information.
- The Yahi Bowmen Archery Club operates the reservoir’s archery range. Guests are welcome and regularly-scheduled activities are offered for people of all ages and abilities. http://www.yahibowmenmodesto.com/home.html for more information.